Thursday, February 2, 2012

To Weight Gainer or Not to Weight Gainer?

++if this is helpful to you, please share it!!++

If you're a small guy who has trouble gaining the weight necessary to accommodate growth for your muscles, you need every advantage you can get. That means a dramatic lack of cardio, casein proteins at night, large meals high in carbs and proteins, and maybe even the dreaded weight gainer.

I have had my weight gainer for--oooooohhh--over a year, by now. Why? Because it's disgusting. I can't really tell if it's gone bad or if it even does, considering the taste is foul from day one. It's like buying a rotten apple, and then reminding yourself, "Oh, I better eat it within a week before it goes bad--aww man! NOW it's nasty!"

I use a product from the AMP series at GNC. Not only is it a hassle to take at times, when you aren't thinking about your workout regimen, but if other weight gainers are anything like it: the taste is disgusting.

So, if you can't stand the taste what can you do? Well, just today I decided to incorporate a bit of it into my post workout protein shake. It consists of the following:

Vanilla Promasil
Greek Yogurt
A bit of chocolate syrup
Water
& now: weight gainer.

I got a special on the Promasil, so I bought the delicious chocolate and the not-as-delicious vanilla flavor. I regret it, but I make up for the choice with a squirt of chocolate syrup. Sugars after your workout do nothing but spike your insulin, which helps your body transport minerals faster anyways, so it shouldn't be looked at as, "Oh! you're gonna get fat!" And even if it did bare that effect: who cares?? I'm tryin to gain weight here, stupid!

Greek Yogurt is a yogurt which is high in protein. I bought mine from Publix, but I'm guessing it's sold everywhere. Blended with a shake, it's great, but standalone it's an acquired taste. I use two spoonfuls.

And finally, I use water because I break out in pimples if I touch dairy stuff.

Anyway.

Mixing in the weight gainer with my shake has actually helped it blend better, and the taste is almost unnoticeable. The product suggests at least 2 or 3 scoops, but I just added one. I would have otherwise excluded it from my shake, so it's like what my old high school teachers use to tell me: "Turn in something. Something is always better than a zero."

So if you have a supplement you aren't taking because of its inconvenience or even its taste, just add it to something you would otherwise be concocting, in a reasonable dose.

LET'S FACE IT: Muscling down your nasty supplements is better than throwing them away. Who cares if you don't take the recommended dose of something you otherwise wouldn't have taken in the first place?

1 comment:

  1. It feels like there's a lot one needs to know in order to lose or gain wight. I'm not trying either atm but I should lose some wight. *Taps belly*

    ReplyDelete